fhl logo
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13

"My wonderful foxhunter doesn't pull, but once in a while I need a little more braking," writes a subscriber. "I have been using the elevator bit with great results until recently, when he started tossing his head quite frantically out hunting, and snatching at the bit. Back home, I felt inside his mouth and found that he was biting the inside of his mouth.

To read more, log in (above) or click to subscribe.

Comments

+1 # Denya Massey 2010-07-28 03:54
Your suggestion was right on the mark. I switched to a straight bar pelham which has been perfect! He likes it, and I have the snaffle rein to ask for what I want and the curb to make him do it if the suggestion falls on deaf ears. Best of all, my horse has learned that when I pick up the curb rein he should react quickly. He always could stop on a dime, but I agree completely with your suggestion for flat work (with a jointed egg butt snaffle). Not only has it improved his balance and obedience, it's also built a lovely top line to his profile. Our flat work has added a great deal to our hunting enjoyment, never mind all the non-hunting riding! Thank you.
# Paul Striberry 2010-07-31 14:22
Paul Striberry lives in Southern Pines North Carolina
# Paul Striberry 2010-07-31 14:22
Paul Striberry lives in Southern Pines North Carolina
+1 # Norman Fine 2010-08-01 09:17
Sorry, Paul. I corrected the article. And I knew that!
[Ed]
+1 # Mary Ewing 2010-08-24 17:45
Anyone using a waterford pelham?
# Steffanie Burgevin 2011-11-30 09:29
Have you tried a happy mouth elevator? Also, maybe the bit is too small, or is not sitting right. I have used an elevator for years, and do not use a flash. I think the flash causes some irritation.
# Norman Fine 2011-11-30 11:14
I agree. I have used a 3-ring on occasion without a problem, but when I combined it with a figure-eight noseband, the horse threw his head and was very unhappy. There is probably something about the combination that doesn't work properly.
# Erin Bozdan 2013-03-29 08:12
I have used a Waterford, 3 ring, on my very large Percheron/ TB and it works wonders for my horse. He is downhill built and would grab the bit and take off with me. The pieces on the Waterford that move dont allow him to do that. I tried using a Pelham for a season but couldnt cope with all those reins and a hunt whip. I am using a 3 ring elevator on my OTTB and he responds nicely to that, plus it seems to be helping with his head carriage.

Security code

Hugh Robards, ex-MFH

Huntsman, Author

photocomingsoon

Arthur Liese

President, The Sporting Gallery and Bookshop, Inc. Sporting Art Dealer

Dr. Matthew Mackay-Smith

Co-Founder, Former Medical Editor, Equus Magazine, Veterinarian, Writer, Historian

Dr. Roger Scullin, MFH

Veterinarian, Foxhound Breeder

Jerry Miller, MFH

Huntsman, Foxhound Breeder

Paul Striberry

Foxhunter, Horseman, Trainer
www.consciousriding.com

Nigel Peel, MFH (UK)

Hunstman, Breeder, Judge

C. Martin Wood III, MFH

MFHA President 1990-1993
Huntsman, Breeder, Judge

Steve Price

Author/Editor of 25 books, including The Whole Horse Catalog and 1001 Best Things Ever Said About Horses

C. Martin Scott, ex-MFH (UK)

Foxhound Breeder, Judge, Writer